Re: quota check befor sieve script?

On Jan 29, 2008 3:16 PM, Michael Menge
<michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Quoting Alain Spineux <aspineux@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > On Jan 29, 2008 9:06 AM, Michael Menge
> > <michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a way to only send the over quota bounces if the message hits
> >> a keep, fileinto or implicite keep action or to accept the email if it
> >> hits a forward or discarde action and to ignore the keep and fileinto
> >> actions in case of overquota?
> >
> > Sieve script need often mail header data to make its check.
> > This means the mail was already accepted by LMTP when sieve script run.
> > This means probably "no" to your question.
>
> I havent looked at the LMTP protokoll, but i think it is like the SMTP
> protokoll if I'm correct we can reject a message in the DATA stage,
> after we have recieved the message. A problem may be with messages to
> more then one user.
> The sending server don't know which user caused the "over quota".

No because lmtpd return an "accept" or "reject" address by address
something like
250 addres1@xxxxxxxxxx
250 addres2@xxxxxxxxxx

> On the other hand there is the option lmtp_strict_quota which means
> that lmtpd knows the size, but as far as i know from SMTP the size is
> not part of the envelope but the data.
>

> > Anyway your question is not without interest,
> > but add such a feature add some problemes like what to do at
> > each retry of the  SMTP ? Run the same sieve script again and again
> > on the same
> > piece of mail until the quota let it in?
>
> On, i would only return an 4xx or 5xx error if the message was not discarded
> and not forwarded and if quota was exceeded. This would mean that
> discarded and forwarded messages would be only seen once, and messages
> that would only be stored in a folder may cause an over quota bounce.
>
> But this may cause that local copies of forwarded messages may be
> lost, as the message would only be forwarded. Same applies to
> discarded messages, but i don't
> see a reason why anyone would discard a mail in one rule and safe it
> in an other.

You must extend sieve with LMTP return code.This is to the script writer
to choose what to do when this append, and witch code to return to LMTP.

> The other way would be to remember all actions to be performed on a
> message and if the message will be stored (fileinto, keep) and the
> quota is exceeded then bounce and perform no action. If the message is
> not stored the message does not exceede the quota and the actions can
> be performed.

If you have forwarded the mail but were not able to deliver it, you
must remember for next LMTP retry to not forward it again !

--
Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com