Re: LARGE single-system Cyrus installs?

Michael Bacon wrote:

> Solid state disk for the partition with the mailboxes database.
>
> This thing is amazing.  We've got one of the gizmos with a battery
> backup and a RAID array of Winchester disks that it writes off to if
> it loses power, but the latency levels on this thing are
> non-existent.  Writes to the mailboxes database return almost
> instantaneously when compared to regular spinning disks.  Based on my
> experience, that's bound to be a much bigger chunk of time than
> traversing a linked list in kernel memory.
>
> For anyone doing a big Cyrus install, I would strongly recommend this.

Thanks for the idea Michael.

I am thinking when our Sun Dtrace testing starts, to see if I can throw
in one config where the DB are run out of tmpfs in order to excercise
whether latency to those databases is causing the pileup.   I have also
seen a posting from Pascal that ZFS mirrored configs have latency issues
which may be contributing.

I'm not ready to point any fingers but it certainly seems worth
investigating.

It's a pity I can't find any Sun SDD drives that could just slot into
our existing SAN setups.

----