imapd process hanging

All,

We recently started running Cyrus for our mail system.  We have started
to encounter some issues where an imapd process will hang, and start
consuming CPU.  When I kill the imapd process (using "kill -HUP <pid>"
or "kill <pid>"), the master process dies, and restarts.

I would like to avoid taking down the entire Cyrus service (it only
takes about 15 seconds to restart, but that is still downtime) when we
have a hung process.  Does anyone know of a way to terminate a
stray/hung imapd process without taking down the master process?

Thanks,

Joshua Van Horn
IET: Data Center & Client Services
University of California, Davis