How Cyrus works?

Hi all
I'm still experimenting with Cyrus. One of the problems I am facing with is the lack of documentation. Could somebody please point to some explanation about the meaning of various /var/lib/imap items? What I am definitely looking for is some explanation of how Cyrus works not limited to the use of cyradm and imapd.conf directives (althought many directives still appear very unclear to me...).
For example: I understand that Cyrus manages a mailboxes DB and I guess it manages many other informations like users, quotas, metainformations, etc... but what, how, why, when... it does what it does?
I know that the source code contains every information I need but I really hope there is a more understanding, insightful and extensive way to learn.
At least a good starting point would be a great suggestion.

Thanks in advance.
PT

----