Misdelivered messages

In the past week or so, we've had trouble with spam being delivered to the wrong recipients. It's difficult to explain, so I'll use an example:

hackxx@xxxxxxxxx and xxmelser@xxxxxxxxx are local users receiving hundreds of spam per hour. None of it is addressed to them. Their email addresses don't appear anywhere in the message source. The messages in hackxx's account appear to be the same messages that xxmelser is receiving. Most of the misdirected messages seem to be addressed to other local users, such as xxmilton@xxxxxxxxx or foxworthxx@xxxxxxxxxx To further confuse the issue, this only happens with spam. A legitimate message mailed to xxmilton@xxxxxxxxx goes through to xxmilton's account and doesn't appear in the other users' mailboxes. The *only* clue I have found is that most of these spams that get misdirected have a gap between the To: and the address in the message header, like this:
To:           <foxworthxx@xxxxxxxxx>

Does anyone have any clue what might be going on here?

Thanks
DC
----