Re: Connection throttling POP3.

On May 21, 2007, at 21:50, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 05:10, Matthew Schumacher wrote:
I'm getting some spammer trying to guess usernames and passwords:

I use the following to protect my SSH server (well not the SSH server
per se, just me reading logfiles the next day)

http://www.gsoft.com.au/~doconnor/brute-force-mitigation.html

Needs PF though.

I take the approach of having a perl script (yay! File::Tail) sit and watch the logs on each server looking for signs of ssh (could easily be used for other things like pop as well) brute force attacks. A certain # of failed logins in a time window from a single IP will cause that IP to get blocked by ipfilter for an appropriate period of time, after which the block is removed. This stops most of your brute-force guessers; after a few tries of having their packets end up on the floor, they go away.

-rob
----