Re: load balancing at fastmail.fm

On Jan 12, 2007, at 10:43 PM, Rob Mueller wrote:

Yep, this means we need quite a bit more software to manage the setup, but now that it's done, it's quite nice and works well. For maintenance, we can safely fail all masters off a server in a few minutes, about 10-30 seconds a store. Then we can take the machine down, do whatever we want, bring it back up, wait for replication to catch up again, then fail any masters we want back on to the server.

Just curious how you do this - do you just stop the masters and then change the proxy to point to the replica? Webmail users shouldn't notice this but don't the desktop IMAP clients notice?

----