Bug? xfermailbox to murder front-end is broken but using rename to xfer a mailbox works just fine.

I can (via cyradm) issue renames to a frontend and move people from backend to backend just fine, but if I issue xfermailbox to the frontend to move people it hangs and I end up with a frontend mboxlist that's messed up (points to frontend).

Is this a bug or am I just stupid issuing commands to the frontend? Issuing rename or xfermailbox to the appropriate backends works just fine.

Example:

Mailbox renames to move to a different back-end work fine issued to the front end server.

cyradm frontend
rename user/nik user/nik backend02
rename user/nik user/nik backend01
[all successful]

But, if I do xfermailbox to a front end, it hangs:

cyradm frontend01
xfermailbox user/nik backend02
[hangs]

The front end logs show:

could not dump mailbox in backend01 (unknown error)
could not move mailbox: user.nik, dump_mailbox() failed

and then a ctl_mboxlist -d shows:

frontend:
user.nik      1   frontend!backend01      nik   lrswipkxtecda
[normally it should be backendNN!default]

backend01:
user.nik      0   default                 nik   lrswipkxtecda
backend02:
user.nik      0   default                 nik   lrswipkxtecda

----