Re: Cyrus Quota vs. du

On Wed, 2 May 2007, Peter A. Friend wrote:

On May 2, 2007, at 8:51 AM, Dana Canfield wrote:

We've been slowly phasing in mail quotas and I've discovered that the quota usage reported by cyrus doesn't match a du for that same user. In fact, I can't find any user where the reports *do* match. Is this a sign of quota corruption, or am I overlooking something about how the quotas work?

Here are some examples to show what I'm checking:

[root@balrog ~]# du -s /var/spool/imap/e/user/efreem
1068664 /var/spool/imap/e/user/efreem
[root@balrog ~]# du -s /var/spool/imap/a/user/austin
1178924 /var/spool/imap/a/user/austin

[root@balrog efreem]# cyradm --user cyrus localhost
localhost.localdomain> lq user.efreem
STORAGE 904193/2000000 (45.20965%)
localhost.localdomain>  lq user.austin
STORAGE 703056/1000000 (70.3056%)

The du utility reports usage in terms of blocks, not bytes. This is a major drawback of maildir type systems, they can have nasty partial block overheads.

Also, 'du' will include the size of the cyrus.index, cyrus.header, and cyrus.cache files. Cyrus' quota does not include those files.

	Andy
----