Re: pop3 CLOSE_WAIT hang

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, tloudev wrote:

hi,
I have serious problem with my cyrus21 (debian sarge 2.1.18-1) - I have hundreds of connectin in CLOSE_WAIT state. I can telnet to port 110 , but sometimes I can't even get the banner of the service. I tried to increase maxchild (now -1 - unlimited), I tried babysit, increasing maxfds up to 2000 etc, but it still doesn't kick out the CLOSE_WAIT state connections. Any suggestion?
Thank you
   Ondrej Pachner

I don't run POP here, but you might search the mailing list archives for information about running out of entropy for POP (using /dev/urandom instead of /dev/random). If I remember correctly, each POP connection requires a certain amount of entropy from /dev/random. When you run out of available entropy, POP will hang waiting for more.

The list archives should have some more information, or hopefully someone else can chime in. :)

	Andy
----