Re: how to enable TLs encryption only ?

JOYDEEP wrote:

thanks a lot for so in depth discussion.  I have already enabled SSL
encryption :-)   as  I have come to know from some documentation that
the STARTTLS is stillnot very standard and the client side support for
it is not become standard too.

Actually, it's very standardized and widely supported by nearly all new versions of client software. You only need to consider alternatives for existing legacy clients and perhaps newer buggy ones.

and  now I am going for the secured authentication.
I may be permitted to give here the main.cf so that you can suggest the
necessary tweaking I need.

For the most part, this looks good.

configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
sievedir: /var/lib/sieve

admins: cyrus
allowplaintext: yes

This is fine, as long as you've considered the risk and educated your users to use the most secure approach available. It's quite trivial to decode LOGIN authentication, if it can be sniffed on the wire.

sasl_mech_list: LOGIN PLAIN

Consider supporting CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5 (see below).

allowanonymouslogin: no
autocreatequota: 10000
reject8bit: no
quotawarn: 90
timeout: 30
poptimeout: 10
dracinterval: 0
drachost: localhost

Are you actually using drac? It's hard to make a case for POP-before-SMTP, these days. I'd disable it in favor of per-user authentication.

sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd

Consider switching to auxprop so you can support CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5. Administering sasldb2 is no harder than maintaining local system users, but I feel it narrows the risk. There are two sides to this argument, so do some research before you make your decision.

#auxprop saslauthd
#sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb2
servername:linux.kolkatainfoservices.in

lmtp_overquota_perm_failure: no
lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes
#
# if you want TLS, you have to generate certificates and keys
#
tls_cert_file: /etc/openldap/myca/servercert.pem
tls_key_file:  /etc/openldap/myca/serverkey.pem
tls_ca_file:  /etc/openldap/myca/cacert.pem
tls_ca_path:  /etc/openldap/myca/
tls_require_cert: no
tlscache_db: berkeley

unixhierarchysep:  yes

Do you need to support dots in usernames or mailboxes? This is purely a matter of choice, but not all systems support usernames with dots, so it may affect future migrations to other IMAP servers. I prefer to have logins without dots, but allow dots in the local part of aliases. Of course, if you have existing accounts that already contain dots, you'll probably need this for migration.

virtdomains:       yes

defaultdomain: kolkatainfoservices.in
loginrealms:   kolkatainfoservices.in

hashimapspool: true