Re: FastMail.FM patchset - new patches

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Rob Mueller wrote:

May not be true, but:

  Is it safe? - we calulated that with one billion messages you have a one
  in 1 billion chance of a birthday collision (two random messages with
  the same UUID).

Is true.

Fair enough.

With hindsight I should probably have defined message UUIDs to be the full MD5 hash: 128 bits isn't that much worse than 96 bits per message. What is the CPU overhead like for calculating MD5 sums for everything on the fly?

UUIDs started out life as Mailbox UniqueID (64 bits) plus Message UID (32 bits), hence the size and rather unfortunate name. The hash algorithmn used to generate mailbox uniqueIDs is a bit basic, which is why I switched to generating them on the fly from master.

--
David Carter                             Email: David.Carter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502