Re: Username different from mailbox

Hi Patrick, hi all others,

This is *not* an MTA issue at all as soon as we discuss the IMAP user logging in rather than the MTA delivering mail!

This has been discussed indeed several times already and every time it came up, there were several people answering that they have no problem with that all. Yet unfortunately, they weren't talking about what was asked and what you need. (As long as I didn't get it wrong.)

It is crucial in this discussion to distingish between two things:

1. Teach the MTA (Exim, Postfix, doesn't really matter) that mail for x@xxxxx has to go to fillinwhatyoulike / what@xxxxxxxxx Yes, this is a no-brainer. So we discuss SMTP here, which isn't really a subject for Cyrus IMAPd at all. And it's not what you're asking if I get it right.

2. In IMAP a user uses a name to identify himself against Cyrus IMAPd. The respective data is flowing right from the MUA (not the MTA) to port 143. Note: No Exim / Postfix / qmail in the game.

Cyrus itself is indeed built on the assumtion that whatever name you use to authenticate *is* the name of the mailbox you want to see.

It is impossible to use any tricks in the LDAP backend to solve this. You will be able to make LDAP lookup the credentials for userb if he logs into Cyrus as usera (if you do whatever mapping in LDAP) but this will always result in a "no mailbox with that name error" as Cyrus IMAPd will authenticate correctly, but look for the wrong mailbox name.

The only way to solve your (and my) problem will be a canon_user SASL plugin, which does not yet exist.

Well, sort of ...

Howard Chu was so kind to write one which he provided to me as patch. Due to a lack of time and maybe ability I was yet unable to make it work for me. But I definitely trust him that when he says he had this working for him, that the problem is with me and not with his code.

So in case you are ready to compile your stuff from source, I will happliy share the patch with you and I would be extremely thankfull if you could help me with some hints on how to properly install that.

Regards,
Torsten

Jorey Bump schrieb:
Patrick Kranz wrote:

Now I have a customer, who needs the scenario that the usernames for Cyrus differ from the mailbox and mailaddress respectivly. For example user1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx should be able to login with the username someOtherUsername. This need arises from an integration with other software-packages. Is there any possibility to make this work?

Yes, this is no different from any other alias or virtual setup that offers multiple addresses to individual users. You would handle this in the MTA. For example, I use virtual_alias_maps with Postfix, and map all addresses to the corresponding cyrus IMAP user:

 abuse@xxxxxxxxxxx        admin
 admin@xxxxxxxxxxx        admin
 postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx        admin
 bob@xxxxxxxxxxx        bob
 robert.smith@xxxxxxxxxxx    bob

You can also use the aliases file and other approaches.

----
----