Re: Slow lmtpd

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, Andre Nathan wrote:

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 16:41 -0600, Blake Hudson wrote:
Actually it's still happening :( I read in the archives that the only
way to actually avoid the locking in deliver.db is to also disable
sieve, is that true?

So, I'm willing to recompile cyrus and comment the calls to
dupicate_check() and duplicate_mark() that are done in deliver_mailbox()
in imap/lmtpd.c... would that break anything (other than duplicate
checking :) ?

You'll lose the ability to effectively use vacation/out-of-office messages. The vacation system uses deliver.db to determine which person has already received the vacation message, to prevent multiple messages from being sent.

Is there a cyrus version where specifying "duplicatesuppression: 0"
actually prevents the duplicate check and thus the database locking
issues I could upgrade to a newer version too, no problem.

"duplicatesuppression: 0" does prevent Cyrus from blocking duplicate messages. However, deliver.db is still used to track message-ids for the purpose of vacation messages, which is why Cyrus is still updating deliver.db. I'm not aware of any configure option that will disable deliver.db entirely.

From the earlier discussion on this topic, it sounds to me like you are
simply pushing your available hardware too hard without further tuning. You mentioned using ATA-over-Ethernet storage for your mail spool. Have you considered putting your configdirectory files on a local hard drive instead of on the ATA-over-Ethernet storage? There is a *lot* of contention for the files in the config directory, so maybe it would be better to move them onto a drive separate from the mail spool.

After running iostat on my cyrus partition (both config and mail spool are kept on a SAN), I'm wondering if I should separate them out as well. This sounds related to the new metapartition and metapartition_files options that were added in v2.3.x.

Does anyone have any recommendations or guidance on this topic?

	Andy
----