Re: lmtpd memory leak?

Hi,

on this server is are only a few test users and the postmaster account.
The Postmaster account has a very copmlex sievescript which uses regexp.
As fas as i can tell all hanging lmtpd-processes are delivering mails to this account. I found the deferred message and could reproduce the effect with an delivery retry of this eMail. But i did't find the regex which caused the problem yet.

So how can I help to find this bug. I had i look at bugzilla, but found nothing
related.

thanks for the help so far

    Michael Menge

Quoting Robert Mueller <robm@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

all my lmtpd-processes are growing in size and are consuming more and
more CPU-time and increasing it's priority.

As far as i can see, mail gets deliverd fine, but only from the small
lmtpd-processes. The huge processes are not used for delivery, and new
lmtp processes get started, but the old processes keep running.

I've seen this before with specific users having a specific regexp in
their sieve script, and then an email with very big header arriving that
that regexp runs on. Check your MTA mail queue and see if there are
deferred emails and if they're all for one user.

Also have a look in /proc/$pid$/fd for a few of the lmtp processes, see
if they're all trying to deliver to the same user.

Rob

robm@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sign up at http://fastmail.fm for fast, ad free, IMAP accessible email

M.Menge                                 Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universitaet Tuebingen                  Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Waechterstrasse 76
72074 Tuebingen

----