Re: load balancing at fastmail.fm

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, urgrue wrote:

SAN really has nothing to do with replication. You have your data somewhere (local or external disks, local/ext raid, NAS, SAN, etc), and youve got your various replication options (file-level, block-level, via client, via server, etc).

I agree that storage and replication are orthogonal issues. However, if a lump of storage is no longer a single point of failure then you don't have to invest (or gamble) quite as much to make that storage perfect.

Software is rarely perfect, as the early history of replication in Cyrus 2.3 demonstrates. If the software isn't itself a single point of failure then it can at least be monitored and fixed. On which note I should pass my thanks to Bron Gondwana, Wes Craig and anyone else who has been working on replication there.

None of these are a replacement for backups.

Absolutely, I agree. Exterprise storage and replication are both just strategies to reduce the frequency that you need to resort to backup.

--
David Carter                             Email: David.Carter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502