Re: using skiplist for quotas.db

Rob Mueller wrote:

so I wonder, will skiplist be a better choice?  obviously running
quota(8) will be a very cheap operation, but I'm worried about
contention on the quota database during delivery etc.  (these users are
for the most part not actively using the system -- they get less than
one message per day each(!) -- so I probably worry too much.)

The problem I saw was that accessing a skiplist db involves locking the entire file I believe. This felt like a huge point of contention, especially since every email delivered would lock it. I never did end up trying it out to test that though, so I wouldn't quote me on that, Ken could confirm.

This is true. If you want to use a single database, I would consider using BDB (as painful as it sounds), since it does localized locking. I don't believe that either choice has been tested thoroughly however.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer