Re: Replication and failover

Attached is our operation group's notes on the subject.  It makes
reference to the tool we use to manage the OS of the machines
(radmind), but it should be pretty clear what they are talking about
without any radmind knowledge.

As an FYI, we have a similar procedure to this, the main differences are:

1. We don't change the DNS. Instead we give each machine a primary IP address, but we also create IP addresses for "cyrusXmaster" and "cyrusXreplica" names(where X is numbers for each machine). When we swap roles, we rebind the different IPs to the particular machines and send ARPs to clear the router table, rather than changing the DNS. This means you can always access the master as "cyrusXmaster" from every machine without having to worry about DNS getting out of sync. 2. Every machine has cyrus-master.conf, cyrus-replica.conf, imapd-master.conf and imapd-replica.conf. We just symlink cyrus.conf and imapd.conf to the appropriate file depending on what mode the machine is currently in

Rob

----