Re: load balancing at fastmail.fm

Thanks, that was interesting reading.
Is there any specific reason you didnt opt for a cluster filesystem?

Internal knowledge mostly. We very were familiar with the performance and overall usage implications of a local filesystems on locally attached SATA-to-SCSI RAID boxes that we've been using for a while.

The setup, performance, maintenance, etc of cluster filesystems would involve learning and using entirely new technologies we didn't know much about, are complex, and probably don't trust fully. In high usage environments like we have, it stresses software and finds bugs you don't expect. Our backup system was crashing our kernel NFS server regularly in mutliple versions of the linux kernel. Even when we tried LVM once we managed to find subtle bugs that seemed to cause filesystem corruption (search for LVM reiserfs corruption, there's old reports in kernel mailing lists). These are both supposedly well tested, well used and understood technologies that when you push them still show their corner case problems. I'd hate to see cluster filesystems pushed given their inherent complexity.

Rob

----