Re: LMTP Timeout

Phil Chambers wrote:
This is an update on progress with diagnosing my problem with LMTP/IMAP hanging.

My diagnosis with reconstruct was a red herring! While I was patching reconstruct to give diagnostics Exim tried a delivery and lmtpd locked the user's cyrus.header file before hanging. When I killed the lmptd proces I found no problem with reconstruct.

So, back to square one. I can't think of a way to debug this. It is imapd and lmtpd which are hanging and I cannot possibly put diagnostic code into those because the logs would explode on a live system.

I really need some suggestions!

Do you experience total failure after a delivery, or is this isolated to a specific user agent? What happens if the connection is allowed to timeout? Can the user make another IMAP connection successfully?

The reason I ask is because I was experiencing similar problems with Thunderbird that I could not reproduce with any other MUA. In fact, I could not intentionally reproduce the problem with Thunderbird, either. While tailing the logs, I noticed that the hangups were always preceded by an LMTP delivery to the user experiencing the hangup, which always resulted in a "Connection to server mail.example.com timed out" error. I did not have enough evidence to conclude that this was more than a coincidence, however, as deliveries are relatively constant.

In order to overcome the problem, I played with various Thunderbird settings until something worked. I've experienced no more hangups since I unchecked "Use IDLE command if the server supports it". This is not the only setting I changed, but it is the only one that had an effect. Perhaps this information will prove helpful to you, anecdotal as it is.

----