Re: Cyrus, clusters, GFS - HA yet again

On 10/28/06, Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Now I think you really mix things up. 1) AFAIK quota is a per user
database which is updated whenever there is a change to the users mailbox.
Cyrus only scans all mail for their size with you do a "quota -f" after
something messed with your mailspool.

Individual messages aren't even scanned during a "quota -f". Each
mailbox index has a field containing the size of the mailbox, "quota
-f" rescans each index under the quota root and adds them up to get
the total. As best I've discovered, it requires a reconstruct of the
mailbox to scan each message's size and recreate the total in the

This leads to interesting behavior if you run cyrus for a while with
32 bit quota support and then upgrade to 64 bit quota support. If a
user had a mailbox bigger than 4GB before the upgrade, the size of the
mailbox in the index will have wrapped at 2^32. After the upgrade if
they delete all that mail, you can wrap below zero and end up with a
mailbox that appears to be close to 2^64th in size.

2) You have to consider GFS volumes
a local storage because it is usually on SAN which is also virtually local
storage. It really has nothing to do with networked filesystems like NFS.
AFAIK the trick with a GFS clustered Cyrus system is that you have two or
more independant Cyrus servers sharing the same metadata and message store
on the block device level, and not caring about each other, which means
they all serve tha same mailboxes/users. IIRC there are people running
Cyrus servers that way on other systems like Tru64 or Veritas cluster.
I think you have mixed up block device level shared filesystems with NFS
shared systems, which for example can be used for maildir based systems.

Has anyone documented running a high volume Cyrus setup on Linux with
a clustered filesystem?

--
-Adam
----