Re: Message contains invalid header

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Marten Lehmann wrote:

Hello,

But your Cyrus IMAPd has to work with these headers! It has to be able
to sort by date, search for message ID, index the body, search for any
header field! So you cannot just ignore errors in Cyrus.

yes, I understand. But I don't know which characters are problematic for Cyrus. I just see the message "Message containes invalid headers". So what? Is it an empty Message-ID? Is it a NUL-character? Is it 8bit in header where usually only 7bit is allowed (munge8bit is false in our setup)? There is now documentation on this. Do I have to be a programmer in watch through thousand lines of source code to find it out? Actually, I just want to use Cyrus, not change it.

Looking at the source code, it appears that error message is only generated when there is an empty Message-ID: header. As other people have said, there are ways to have your MTA fix-up the Message-ID: header before the message is handed to Cyrus.

There are separate error messages for other conditions:

    case IMAP_MESSAGE_CONTAINSNULL:
        prot_printf(pout, "554 5.6.0 Message contains NUL characters\r\n");
        break;

    case IMAP_MESSAGE_CONTAINSNL:
        prot_printf(pout, "554 5.6.0 Message contains bare newlines\r\n");
        break;

    case IMAP_MESSAGE_CONTAINS8BIT:
        prot_printf(pout, "554 5.6.0 Message contains non-ASCII characters in headers\r\n");
        break;

    case IMAP_MESSAGE_BADHEADER:
        prot_printf(pout, "554 5.6.0 Message contains invalid header\r\n");
        break;

	Andy
----