Re: Moving the Cyrus Mailstore

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Wickham, Larry wrote:

Hi,

Our server is suffering from impending doom, while servicing 11,500 users.
Our mail store is in the default location under /var/spool/imap. The
partition that / (/var is under here in our setup) is mounted on is 25 GB
and I would like to move it to the partition where /home is mounted which
has 1+ TB available. We have considered several solutions. The chosen
solution would have minimal downtime and minimal chance of failure.

1) Repartitioning:
Down the server and boot from a rescue platform. Backup and Resize /home.
Create a new partition in the free space formerly occupied by /home. Copy
/var to the new partition. Rename the existing /var. Edit fstab and boot.

2) Swaping mount points:
Down the server and boot from a rescue platform. Move the contents of /home
to a folder on the smaller drive. Copy /var to the larger drive. Modify
fstab.

3) Migrating between mail stores
Create a new mail store under /home and migrate the mail boxes? Not sure how
or if we can do this.

Please let me know your opinion on these solutions and any new suggestions
are welcome and appreciated.

Here's what I would do:

1. Decide on a location in /home to store the cyrus stuff (/home/cyrus?).

2. Use rsync to get a rough copy of /var/spool/imap sync'd to /home/cyrus. Do this well ahead of the migration and periodically run rsync again to keep the list of changes small.

3. Stop cyrus.

4. Do a final rsync.

5. Create a symlink from /var/spool/imap to /home/cyrus.

6. Start cyrus

Simple, and it keeps downtime to a minimum.  Rsync is awesome.

	Andy
----