Re: very slow syncing, any ideas?

Hi,

i had much better performance with mailutil from UW-Imapd. It uses the IMAP-protocol like imapscyn but is not a scipt but a binary program and uses the imap APPEND command and does noe checks to see wich E-Mails are on the new server.

Michael Menge

Quoting Marten Lehmann <lehmann@xxxxxx>:

Hello,

I'm about to migrate several thousand mailboxes from Maildir to Cyrus
using the tool imapsync. It does its job very well and when I tested
the migration on a small development server it was very fast.

But now on the production system the synchronisation is very slow with
a maximum of one message per second (and we have gigabytes of messages
in the storage, partically > 10,000 messages per mailbox!). The general
load of the system isn't very high, maybe a load average of 30. I
disabled the duplicate message suppression. The mailboxes.db is about 8
megabytes big with approx. 13,000 mailboxes and 4 default folders each
(Drafts, Junk, Sent, Trash).

I have the following entries in my configuration which should provide a
better hierarchie and balance of directories than if they were all in
one main directory:

altnamespace: true
hashimapspool: true
unixhierarchysep: true
virtdomains: userid

I also tried to move the old Maildirs to a different server, so that
getting messages from the old mailbox and putting it to the new mailbox
through IMAP doesn't come up with reads and writes on the same server.
But the performance benefit was minimal.

But in the end, syncing is still really slow. It would take weeks to
sync all mailboxes that way.

How else could we move them to the new storage if doing it through IMAP
is too slow? On the other hand we would like to keep all flags so I
guess syncing it with IMAP is the only choice?

What could be the reason to be that slow? Is it the big mailboxes.db?

Regards
Marten
----

M.Menge                                 Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universitaet Tuebingen                  Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Waechterstrasse 76
72074 Tuebingen

----