Re: changed delivery to subfolder?

Marten Lehmann wrote:
Hello,

the documentation says, that one should use an address like test+Junk@xxxxxxx to delivery a message directly into the Junk-folder of test@xxxxxxxx I noticed that this doesn't work and the mail is delivered to INBOX instead.

However, I found out that I have to deliver messages to test/Junk@xxxxxxx instead and then it will be delivered to the Junk folder correctly. But this behaviour isn't described anywhere, so is cyrus actually expected to behave like that?

No, you're creating your mailboxes wrong.

Are you using a single domain? Then set it as the default in imapd.conf:

 defaultdomain: mail.example.net

And create your new mailboxes like this with cyradm:

 > cm user.bob

Or, if using the UNIX heirarchy separator:

 > cm user/bob

Then use your client, not cyradm, to create subfolders.

If you want to add virtual domains, which is only necessary if you want to duplicate logins between domains (you can avoid this by giving everyone a unique login in the same realm), read this carefully:

 http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/imapd/install-virtdomains.html

Then you will create mailboxes for your virtual domains like this:

 > cm user.bob@xxxxxxxxxxx

or

 > cm user/bob@xxxxxxxxxxx

Once again, use your mail client to create subfolders, not cyradm! You will be better able to understand the changes that are occuring to the account in your mail spool, which is normally /var/spool/imap. Monitor this folder as you make changes, but do not manipulate it directly.

This information is somewhat incomplete, as you also need to deal with your realms in your MTA and selected authentication system. There are a lot of choices in this area, so noone can tell you what is best for you. You'll need to specify your requirements. For example, why have you chosen to use the UNIX heirarchy separator? This is fine, but do you have a demonstrated need, or are you following a howto? Do you need to implement virtual domains?

----