Failing to authenticate on the frontends

Hi,
So I got the whole murder system running. Apparently, both the frontend server and the backend server can communicate. I have a backend server that has a couple of mailboxes, one of which is called "joe". I'm using a sasldb file on both of the machines (backend and frontend) to store users and passwords.

The problem is that when I connect to the frontend using an imap client, the authentication fails, as using telnet:

cyrus@frontend:/etc$ telnet localhost 143
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID STARTTLS] frontend Cyrus IMAP4 v2.3.7 server ready
1 login "joe" "password"
1 NO Login failed: authentication failure

However, if I _add_ a user/password "joe" to the local user database at the frontend, then it works:

cyrus@frontend:/etc$ ../sasl/sbin/saslpasswd2 -c -f sasldb2 joe
[...]
cyrus@frontend:/etc$ telnet localhost 143
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID STARTTLS] frontend Cyrus IMAP4 v2.3.7 server ready
1 login "joe" "password"
1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID LOGINDISABLED ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT SORT=MODSEQ THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE CATENATE CONDSTORE IDLE URLAUTH] User logged in

And from here on, an IMAP client is able to browse and see all the messages at joe's mailbox.

So, the question is, isn't the frontend supposed to contact the backend responsible of that mailbox in order to authenticate the user? or it needs to have "joe"'s password at the frontend as well?

Best wishes.

--
Jesus Roncero <jesus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
System Developer