Re: sync_client bails out after 3 MAILBOXES need upgrading to USER in one run

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006, Bron Gondwana wrote:

I've attached my trivial solution (against CVS of last week some time), but I'm thinking a better (as in, less wasteful) solution might be to not return an error at all for a failed mailbox, but instead keep walking the entire tree, and then generate a "USER" event for every mailbox that hasn't been marked yet.

My original code (which we are still running: I'm not in any hurry to upgrade to 2.3) sorts mailbox actions by user. If a single mailbox action associated with a user fails the rest are discarded and a USER event is generated. If the USER event fails it locks the given user out of the mboxlist and tries again. This is close to what you describe above.

From memory the 3 retries thing was introduced to cope with transient
problems on shared mailboxes, caused by mailboxes moving around under the replication engines feet. No promotion is possible in this case.

Ken and David - is there a reason why you chose to pass a single "MAILBOXES" command with multiple mailboxes to the backend rather than single mailbox commands? The little birdy in my head is whispering (it does that at 1am after many hours of debugging) that it has something to do with supporting renames.

Rename and copying messages between mailboxes. With single mailbox commands RENAME becomes DELETE + CREATE/UPLOAD (which would work, but would be a pain if a GByte mailbox was involved). COPY would upload new messages rather than reusing the single instance store on the replica.

--
David Carter                             Email: David.Carter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502