Re: Berkeley DB upgrade - 2nd try

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Paul Boven wrote:

Hi everyone,

A bit over a month ago I tried to upgrade the Berkeley DB on a Cyrus-2.2.12 mailserver. That didn't work out because right at startup, 'ctl_cyrusdb -r' would fail with 'critical dabase situation'.

After a bit of debugging, I've gotten things down to this:

If I build cyrus against the old version (4.1.25), it runs great. If I build it against 4.4.20, it doesn't want to start. Even though I've changed tlscache_db and duplicate_db to 'skiplist' in the imapd.conf and removed those db-files from the system, so it shouldn't even be using Berkeley-db anymore, with all databases being skiplist. Starting with a clean /var/imap, I can start the newly compiled Cyrus, so it has to do with whatever is left in /var/imap/db from the old Berkeley version.

I've also done a db_upgrade in /var/imap using the 4.4.20 db_upgrade version, but the Cyrus with the 4.4.20 Berkeley libs still won't start.

I'd welcome any suggestions on how to proceed and make this into a working mail-server again. (Don't worry, this is only the testbed - the really scary stuff is yet to come).

Have you tried simply deleting any databases that use Berkeley DB (sounds like none in your case) and deleting all the files in the {configdirectory}/db/ directory? When I did a Debian upgrade from Woody to Sarge (OS upgrade) I had to whack that stuff to get it to come back up. I don't know why the Berkeley DB tools don't clean up the {configdirectory}/db/ directory.

	Andy
----