Re: mailboxes.db unreadable, recovery procedure?

On 25 Aug 2006, at 15:53, !jeff!{InterVerse} wrote:
sudo -u cyrus /usr/local/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -r -f user
fatal error: can't read mailboxes file

OK, so that doesn't work.  Now what can I do?

If you need a list of mailboxes, you can probably get a pretty complete one with "strings mailboxes.db". Minus anything that's really corrupted -- as opposed to corrupted meta-data.

how do I use reconstruct to regenerate mailboxes.db from the contents of the cyrus spool area?

Move mailboxes.db and the contents of the db directory out of the way. Then, for each mailbox (derived either from the "strings" command or from the spool directories), run:

	reconstruct -r -f mailbox.name

The main problem that you might run into is that reconstruct isn't aggressive enough about reading sub directories. So feeding a complete list to reconstruct (in which case you won't need -r) would be handy.

:wes
----