Re: mailboxes.db unreadable, recovery procedure?

On Aug 25, 2006, at 12:48 PM, !jeff!{InterVerse} wrote:

Hi List,

I have a cyrus system with only about 20 users on it. They have about 3 gigs of mail.

The mailboxes.db file is unreadable. of course, reconstruct -m is unavailable, in typical dougadamsian fashion.

I have seen recommendations to try to 'rebuild the db' using the 'db.backup1' or 'db.backup2' directories. I have the dirs. What specific command (including flags) do I use to attempt that?

i have seen use 'ctl_cyrusdb -r' but I keep getting segmentation fault and core dump. I have tried that with and without my corrupted mailboxes.db file in place. what does that tell us?

Since it's such a small system, a backup the mail spool, reinstall, recreate user accounts type of approach would work for me if that's the simplest thing to do... or just a 'run this command to get a fresh mailboxes file'... but I don't know how.

Can somebody please give me a step by step here?

stop mail service
sudo -u cyrusimap /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -f -r user/username
start mailservice

----