Re: High availability email server...

Pascal Gienger wrote:
David Korpiewski <davidk@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I spent about 6 months fighting with Apple XSAN and Apple OSX mail to try to create a redundant cyrus mail cluster. First of all, don't try it, it
is a waste of time.  Apple states that mail on an XSAN is not supported.
The reason is that it simply won't run. The Xsan can't handle the large
amount of small files and will do things like disconnect or corrupting
the file system.

STOP!
The capability to handle small files efficiently is related to the filesystem carrying the files and NOT to the physical and logical storage media (block device) under it.
Apple is the one confusing people. "XSan" is the name of the Apple cluster file system. So you configure a couple of hosts on your SAN, with a shared volume, and then run XSan. XSan is more similar to Linux GFS (Global File System).

So I believe the original poster is right: XSan is crap for lots of small files. That is not surprising. It is really hard to come up with a shared file system that does suck. The nodes have to lock for meta-data updates. So shared file systems can be pretty slow too.

Tom
----