Re: performance issue (imap spool on san)

Michael Loftis wrote:

--On July 26, 2006 12:02:41 PM +0200 Rudy Gevaert <Rudy.Gevaert@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I've installed the latest cyrus release and I'm having trouble with large
mailboxes.

I was going to try if the 4Gig limit is gone and I'm filling up a mailbox
with mails.

If I open the mailbox trough mutt it gets loaded at a acceptable
(lighting fast) speed.  However when using thunderbird it gets very slow,
I haven't been able to open the mailbox of 294M.

This is a thunderbird problem, not a Cyrus problem. Thunderbird is NOT an IMAP client. It's a POP3/NNTP reader, that's been taught to badly parrot IMAP. It attempts to download and locally index *all* headers. This means that for large mail stores, it'll take a LONG time to figure out whats going on, and lots and lots of RAM too. And this is all on the Client.

Thanks for your reply. It's always nice to have a second opinion. Kmail opened the mailbox without a problem.

Your SAN is fine, your client is the problem. Unfortunately since Cyrusoft went under (they made Mulberry) aside from Mutt and Pine I don't really have any suggestions for loading large mailboxes.

To bad Mulberry has been discontinued.  I haven't used it before.

Kind regards,

Rudy
----