Re: reconstruct while system is running?

--On July 25, 2006 3:37:43 PM +0200 "Heiling, Steffen" <cyr-l@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear List,

I'm just wondering if I can run "reconstruct -r" for all mailboxes  while
the system is running with mid load? I want to switch all  mailboxes to a
new server with more space and without a big downtime.
I would do a sync (with replication) and after that, reroute  connections
with iptabels to the new server and start a reconstruct on  it. Is it ok
when users doing their imap-stuff while it's running? I  don't want to
stop the server because a complete reconstruct takes  about 2 hours.

Ah, and one second (stupid) question: ATM I'm running replication
without UUID's. When I want to active it, I have to set the number on
the production server to (e.g.) 1 and on the backup server to 2? In  the
docs it's not clear where to set the value (backend or replica).

I'm not sure if your entire plan is safe, however, reconstruct is safe. An individual mailbox or folder just gets locked during the actual reconstruct. Note that it'll increase your I/O load by a pretty large amount during the reconstruct.

----