Simple authentication system, Cyrus & Mac

I was wondering what is the simplest authentication system to set up for Cyrus, running on Mac OS X 10.4.7?

I have been having a very frustrating time trying to get cyrus-sasl to work - saslauthd keeps giving me "unkown authentication method" errors, no matter what I seem to do.

I don't need anything highly secure, just something that works!

We don't run LDAP or anything like that. Perhaps we should? (I just want something simple!).

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

James.

----