Re: Performance and cheap storage

On 23 Jul 2006, at 11:00, Robert Banz wrote:
The second thing to consider is that the performance on modern SATA drives, if you're using a driver for the SATA interface that supports advanced features such as command queueing, are going to show you performance akin to SCSI drives -- even more so if you place them behind a 'quality' RAID subsystem that provides read/ write caching.

Another big win is providing independent IO channels for the {configdirectory} and the mail store {partition}. For instance, if you're using an external SATA RAID for the {partition}, then using the drives in the head for {configdirectory} can be a big win. On our systems, about 30% of our IO is to {configdirectory}.

:wes
----