Re: INTERNALDATE one hour in future for sent message

Unix systems should be run in GMT/UTC (almost the same thing; GMT is _not_ British time"). You then use $TZ in the environment, or some OS-dependent way of setting 'localtime' (eg, a symlink /etc/localtime, or some other method) to let programs show the time in the local zone. That's normally handled by libc.

Machine's internal clock is (and has always been) in UTC. TZ environment variable is set (in /etc/TIMEZONE) to US/Eastern which supposedly does automatically handle timezone change. From what I can tell by comparing files found in /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo, US/Eastern is same as setting to EST5EDT (to test this I changed setting TZ in TIMEZONE file to EST5EDT and rebooted. Same behavior as if TZ set to US/Eastern).

It's really just asking the operating system for "the current time", so the OS is not using GMT.

IS there any way of verifying that INTERNALDATE has access/is using TZ
environment variable i.e. are we setting/using it correctly? Some here are thinking that it sounds like it might be a cyrus bug if changing the server time changes the behavior.

----