Subscribe as admin for a user?

Anyone know of a perl module or php function that will let the cyrus administrator-user subscribe a mailbox for a user without authenticating as that user and without using autocreate?

Would I break anything by modifying /var/imap/user/X/joeschmo/joeschmo.sub?
The user would definitely not be logged in at the time.

As you might have guessed, this is for a group of mega-newbies. They'll be accessing the Cyrus server from work, from home, some with a Treo, Thunderbird, Outlook, Squirrelmail, ... Otherwise I'd just have them uncheck 'Show only subscribed folders', etc. I also won't have their passwords, unless I call each one to get it, so doing it myself as each user would be less than convenient.

Thanks,
  Jason

--
Jason Englander <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
394F 7E02 C105 7268 777A  3F5A 0AC0 C618 0675 80CA

----