discrepancies between observed disk usage and reported disk space

Hello,

If I add up the reported disk space for all of the users on a partition and compare it to the actual observed size of the spool directory (and subdirectories), there's quite a large discrepancy.

For example, adding up all of the usage on one partition comes out to 23GB, yet observed usage (du -sh spool) comes to 30GB. This extends down to individual mailboxes as well, to wit:

[cyrus@calliope imap]$ /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/quota -f user.sabrams
  Quota  % Used    Used Root
  25000       7    1800 user.sabrams

shows 1.8MB, yet:

[root@calliope user]# du -sh sabrams/
2.2M    sabrams

What I'm wondering is, is this normal? I ran quota -f on the above user and it changed it from the former value of 1200 to 1800, but still not close to the observed usage of 2.2M. I'm looking for a good way to predict actual disk usage to size our server for growth. If this is just legitimate overhead, fine -- but I need to get a sense of how much overhead there is and where it comes from. If there's a problem with our quotas, I need to fix it.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

Aaron

--