Re: [Cfrg] Homomorphic Encryption Standardization – Side Meeting

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 02:22:49PM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> I would like to see this brought into IRTF as soon as possible either as
> part of CFRG or as a separate effort.
>
> Right now the canon of commercial cryptography uses only the primitives
> developed up to 1990 (hash chains). I am currently trying to persuade
> people to make use of threshold cryptography techniques that were developed
> in the mid 90s. We need to get out of the habit of waiting 25 years for new
> cryptographic primitives to mature before we start looking at them.
>
> We should stop asking 'does anyone need this' and instead ask 'is this
> useful'.

+1.

> The other reason for bringing it into IRTF is that we really do need a
> clear IPR regime or else things can get ugly and efforts can stall.

I hope by now everyone understands that patent IPR on crypto == 20 year
kiss of death.  That explains a great deal of our collective habit of
waiting 20+ years to make use of new primitives -- it certainly does for
PAKEs, for example.  Of course, for some that might be a feature.

Nico