Re: [Last-Call] [Sidrops] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-sidrops-ov-egress-01

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 12:11 PM Randy Bush <randy@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> and the winds of summer.  we do not need to enumerate all knobs, as
> >> if we could.
> >>
> > But enumerating *some* helps the reader understand the context in which
> > this is important/useful.
>
> which is why
>
>    When applied to egress policy, the effective origin AS MUST be used
>    to determine the Origin Validation state.  The effective origin AS is
>    that which will actually be the origin AS in the announcement.  It
>    might be affected by removal of private AS(s), confederation, AS
>    migration, etc.

One of the things that I personally like most about this document is
that it concise - it clarifies something for *implementors* to keep in
mind / points out something where they might trip over something and
hurt themselves.

While I generally like examples and detail in RFCs, in this case it
would be "teaching your grandmother to suck eggs"[0] - the readers in
this case are folk who write BGP, the document basically says
"Warning: sharp object, careful with fingers" - having too much detail
decreases the utility in this case.

Again, I generally agree that documents should enumerate all of the
corner cases, have examples, etc - but in this case I think it would
do more harm than good...

[0]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaching_grandmother_to_suck_eggs
> randy

idea in the first place.