Re: [Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-sidrops-ov-egress-01

On 3/17/20 8:34 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
thanks for review robert,

This sentence slowed me down when reading:

    As the origin AS may be modified by outbound policy, policy semantics
    based on RPKI Origin Validation state MUST be able to be applied
    separately on distribution into BGP and on egress.

I suggest something like:

   As the origin AS may be modified by outbound policy, a BGP speaker
   MUST be able to apply policy semantics based on RPKI Origin Validation
   state separately on distribution into BGP and on egress.
am i correct that you point is to make clear that this applies to the BGP
speaker?

Yes, mostly that.

I wanted to avoid "be able to be" and have an explicit actor. I see the difficulty you point to below.

i need to think.  clearly, the speaker will be applying the policy.  but
is it not the op configuring the policy which is deciding?  or is it
that you really want to MUST the application, a la

    As the origin AS may be modified by outbound policy, a BGP speaker
    MUST apply ROV policy semantics using the My Autonomous System
    number in the BGP OPEN message (see RFC 4271 section 4.2) issued to
    the peer to which the UPDATE is being sent.

randy