In person versus virtual?

On 10 Mar 2020, at 22:00, Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@xxxxxxx> wrote:

A few very aggressive people are trying to make all IETF meetings virtual, and so replacing the in-person meeting by virtual sessions is a slippery slope.

You may be referring to a draft I wrote, draft-lear-we-gotta-stop-meeting-like-this-00.txt, or maybe to comments made by others in various IETF threads.

My intuition tells me we should probably not meet 3x per year in person, but something less, like 2x, if for no other reason, to save the environment.  But my intuition is not enough to make good decisions.  It seems to me that some data is required, which is why I wrote that draft.  Let’s get data, in order to understand what are the most effective collaboration modalities for this organization.

I was aiming for an experiment some years down the road, but here we are.  Let’s make the most of it and collect what data we can.

Eliot