Re: [Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-git-using-github-04

Le 10/03/2020 à 11:47, Kjetil Torgrim Homme a écrit :
On Tue, 2020-03-10 at 11:29 +0100, Alexandre Petrescu wrote:
Le 10/03/2020 à 07:05, Kjetil Torgrim Homme a écrit :
- despite my efforts of explaining, people still prefer to
exchange
the files by email.  This feedback is from working with several
groups on several xml drafts on several github repositories.

both Github and Gitlab have good web based editors which can
recommended to Git skeptics

I heard that skepticism from many people in a hurry.  They dont have
time to get imposed some rule.

It is difficult to understand some parts of the github behaviours.

Especially by those who do shared document processing by using other
document sharing tools like github.

This is the gist of it: having a beautiful modern web interface,
makes one think that GitHub easily supports things like uploading a
document. It is not the case.  There is no button on the web to
Upload a file.

it is right up there in the file browser in Github,

   [Create new file] [Upload files] [Find File]

'Find file' is a term that means to open a file, if expressed in Mac, or it means to search and find a file if expressed in Windows. It is misleading.

The particular need is the following: I want to download the file. I do not want to display it first and only then download it. It is too long.

So, I think my need is the following: I want a big visible button on github to quickly download a file, and not to have to go through numerous other buttons first.

Then, I want to update a file, not to upload a new one.

The fact that there are is no straight button to update a file leads to generation of many files in the same folder. I upload a file with -AP in name, others put theirs, and we end up with too many files.

in Gitlab there is a generic [+ v] dropdown menu to upload a new file,
create a new branch etc.

there is also the concept of gist (Github) and snippet (Gitlab) which
is for more informal sharing of files, think pastebin on steroids.

  Not even to Download a file.

well, that is slightly less obvious, I'll grant you that - the button
is called [Raw] in Github, which you may have to Control click to get
the file download dialog.  in Gitlab there is a separate download icon
(an arrow pointing down into a tray).

Thank you for the explanation. I did not know that. I think I might need to put it in my howto.

Alex