Re: [Last-Call] [Detnet] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-detnet-ip-05

Hi Roni,

Inline ...

Thanks, --David

[David>] That looks like what was intended.

> 2.  In section 6  I could not parse the second level bullet "When the DSCP
> field is used in flow identification, a list of field values that may be used
> by a specific flow."
[David>] The text after the comma is intended to describe the management and control information used to identify the flow, referring back to the DSCP field.

As I'm responsible for this DSCP list "thorn" in the WG's "side" ;-), here's a suggestion to improve clarity:

OLD
      *  If the DSCP field is to be used in flow identification.
         Ignoring the DSCP filed is optional.

      *  When the DSCP field is used in flow identification, a list of
         field values that may be used by a specific flow.
NEW
      *  Whether or not the DSCP field is used in flow identification.
          Use of the DSCP field for flow identification is optional.

      *  If the DSCP field is used to identify a flow, then the flow
          identification information (for that flow) includes a list of
          DSCPs used by that flow.

I took out "that may be used" as including too much detail - that text covers situations where not all of the DSCP values are actually used, e.g., there could be 5 possible DSCP values for a flow, but only 2 of them occur in actual packets.   That's not particularly important here, as the logic that determines whether or not a packet is part of that flow has to match on all 5 possible DSCP values.