Re: Why are Cloudflare checking my browser?

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 8:09 AM Tim Chown <tjc.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 28 Feb 2020, at 16:10, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This has been in place on the IETF site for ~4 yrs at this point.
> welcome to the party! :)

But it’s only recently that it’s doing it so much.  Used to be very rare, now I see it most visits.  Very irritating.

Oh, are you perhaps blocking or clearing cookies? If you have and present a cookie I believe this is much less likely to occur - you’ve “proven” your existence / behavior.

I *think* that there is also a decision based on how likely a visit from your IP / subnet / ASN is likely to be a DoS / malicious.
The feedback loop *seems* relatively fast - I arrive at the IETF hotel almost a week early because I’m part of the NOC team. Because the week before the meeting is busy, and I’m an AD, I spend a fair bit of time using the hotel network - and there *seems* to be a correlation. The first N times I use the hotel network to access DT it looks anomalous and I’m more likely to get the interstitial, but this decreases over time. This could also be an illusion - I use multiple devices (laptop, phone, tablets, etc) and it could just be once per device and I’m not correcting for that in my perception.

There’s also shenanigans on the mail list signup pages where you have to fill the form in slowly now (with a somewhat cryptic warning to do so if you do it too fast), and failures due to “IP mismatches” on the form pages.

Tim
--
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of pants.