Re: [Int-area] Is IPv6 End-to-End? R.I.P. Architecture? (Fwd: Errata #5933 for RFC8200)

Philip,

On 27/2/20 19:26, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 5:09 PM Tom Herbert <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Fernando,

    I think we need to be careful that IETF is labeled as a collection of
    inflexible architectural purists. We know that standards conformance
    is voluntary and we haven't seen the last time that someone, possibly
    even a major vendor, will circumvent the system for their own
    purposes.

IP end to end does not mean the IP address is constant end to end. It never has meant that and never will. An IP address is merely a piece of data that allows a packet to reach its destination. There is no reason to insist on it remaining constant along the path.

You seem to be missing the point I was trying to make.

We're talking about IPv6 routers doing heavy surgery on IPv6 packets, while en-route to destination.

And we are also talking about violating IETF specs at will, and circumventing IETF processes.

This does break things, make troubleshooting painful, etc.

AH may break
PMTUD may break
Error may reporting break

I'm not being purist. I'm just arguing that we probably can do better than simply rubber-stamping any hacks a vendor with big pockets may bring up.

Otherwise, I don't see the point of all this big structure.

For instance, we have an "Internet Architecture Board", which I guess have a say on things that affect architecture?

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando@xxxxxxxxxxx || fgont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx