Re: pure-virtual asynchronous meetings?

Kent Watsen <kent+ietf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > I propose moving IETF to pure-virtual *asynchronous* meetings as
    > follows:

....  This is worth trying out.

    > PROs:

    > 1) The dependence on physical travel is removed.
    > 2) The dependence on reliable broadband is removed.
    > 3) Everyone can stay comfy in their local timezones.
    > 4) Enables non-English native participants time to digest material.
    > 5) Avoids having to scale infrastructure to support synchronous attendance.
    > 6) Anything else?

    > CONs:

    > 1) In-person communication benefits are lost.
    > 2) Adhoc meetings (hallway huddles, meals, etc.) are not catered to.
    > 3) Presents an opportunity for corporate gaming (e.g., “prepared" responses)
    > 4) Ability to show off badge-stickers eliminated  ;)
    > 5) No ability to share gifts
    > 6) Anything else?

The big problem I see is that there could be a trend towards sophisticated video
production processes, with directors, cast, green-screens, CGI graphics.
But, I am still willing to try it out.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-