Re: Further update on COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and IETF 107 Vancouver

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 7:44 AM Spencer Dawkins at IETF <spencerdawkins.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Top-posting, just to thank you for this note. I'd guess we're going to learn a lot about what we need to be prepared, from watching other organizations who have already canceled and are (attempting to) go fully virtual.

We may end up canceling, too, but if we're able to hold a meaningful onsite meeting with significantly greater remote participation than usual, we can still learn a lot, and can be prepared for any all-virtual IETF in the future.

+1

In the short term we have to have a backup plan. It is quite possible that the decision will be taken out of our hands. There are a lot of authoritarian governments about at the moment and the response of such types tends to swing from complacency to panic very quickly.

In the long term, I think we should aim to cut back from three in-person meetings a year to one and use virtual meetings for interims.