Re: [Last-Call] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-lamps-5480-ku-clarifications-01

Tim,

Thanks for the review. Responses in-line.

spt

> On Feb 27, 2020, at 05:46, Tim Chown via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Reviewer: Tim Chown
> Review result: Not Ready
>
> I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate's ongoing
> effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
> comments were written with the intent of improving the operational aspects of
> the IETF drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be included
> in AD reviews during the IESG review.  Document editors and WG chairs should
> treat these comments just like any other last call comments.
>
> The draft updates RFC 5480 to clarify the usage of the keyEncipherment and
> dataEncipherment key usage bits in the Subject Public Key Information field for
> certificates that support elliptic curve cryptography.  Specifically, it states
> that neither of these bits are set for key agreement algorithms.
>
> This is a short document with just a few lines of text that update RFC 5480.
> The rationale for the additional clarification seems clear.
>
> The subject matter of the draft is not a strong area of interest of mine.
>
> Overall, the document is not Ready, primarily due to some key (no pun
> intended!) text being missing.
>
> Comments:
>
> Section 1:
>
> It would be good to state whether it is all or some specific key agreement
> algorithms.

It's just the ones defined in RFC 5480 ;)  How about:

OLD:

 This document corrects this omission, by updating
 Section 3 of [RFC5480] to make it clear that neither
 keyEncipherment nor the dataEncipherment key usage
 bits are set for key agreement algorithms.

NEW:

 This document corrects this omission, by updating
 Section 3 of [RFC5480] to make it clear that neither
 keyEncipherment nor the dataEncipherment key usage
 bits are set for key agreement algorithms specified
 therein.

Implemented here:
https://github.com/lamps-wg/draft-ietf-lamps-5480-ku-clarifications/pull/7

> Section 3:
>
> The way it is written, I would suggest saying “or” for the bits, not “and”.

I could see “nor”, but just wanted to use words similar to those used in RFC 5480 and there it uses “and” for the MUST NOT clauses.

> A specific reference to section 2.1 of RFC 5480 would be good to add, where the
> semantics id-ecDH, id-ecMQV and id-ecPublicKey are given.

I will bow to the will of the IESG, but I think this is a bit overkill since I would expect that anybody reading this also read RFC 5480.

> The first sentence appears to be missing text - a certificate that indicates
> what?  I’m guessing this should be id-ecPublicKey?

drat I was overzealous in my deletions to address an earlier comment - yep id-ecPublicKey.  It’s fixed here:
https://github.com/lamps-wg/draft-ietf-lamps-5480-ku-clarifications/blob/master/draft-ietf-lamps-5480-ku-clarifications.md