Re: Ancient history [Re: ipv4 and ipv6 Coexistence.]

On Feb 26, 2020, at 2:29 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 26-Feb-20 23:28, Stewart Bryant wrote:

On 26 Feb 2020, at 09:56, tom petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

On 26/02/2020 09:35, Stewart Bryant wrote:

Before my time, but was IPv4 designed before or after the Internet was released from the government to the public?

It was never really a government project; it was a DARPA-funded R&D project.

DARPA *is* US Government (DOD in particular). There was also early support from the NSF for links and some research, but that too is US Gov. I.e., although it wasn’t developed by govt employees, it was largely govt money that made it work.

There was a prohibition on conducting business on the Internet until around 1989 or so, largely because of the gov’t paying for the resources up to that point AFAIR. I’m guessing that’s what Stewart means by “releasing it” to the public...

Joe